NOVA Students and Faculty Attend Honors Conference

Four NOVA Honors students attended the Southern Regional Honors Conference (SRHC) held at the historic Peabody Hotel in Memphis. In addition to presenting, the students also moderated other presentations and participated in discussions with their counterparts at four-year universities, making friendships that will last a lifetime.

After the conference, the students reflected on their experience. Olivia Lee, who presented “One Click Away: The Effects of Social Media on Consumer Spending Behavior,” stated, “Attending SRHC 2019 not only allowed me to explore a new city, but it also provided me the opportunity to delve into new topics I wouldn’t have had the chance to learn about otherwise.”

Her colleague, Marly Narcisse, agreed. Marly presented “The Perks of Being a ‘Jack of All Trades.’” She concluded, “Having the opportunity to attend SRHC was a privilege; it helped me realize it’s important to share what you are passionate about with other people, but most importantly, the conference was a way for us to practice networking.”

Teodor Calin who talked about “Innovations and Applications of Wireless Electronic Sensor Technology” enjoyed his experience in the new city because he
“got a better idea of what some students are doing in their later years of education.” He also valued stepping out of his “comfort zone” and presenting on a fairly new topic.

Mansi Suresh, added, “I am forever grateful for the 2019 SRHC which gave me the opportunity to delve deeper into diverse topics that intrigued me, connect with honors students from throughout the Southern Region to share perspectives, and gain leadership skills that will help me succeed in the future.” Mansi’s presentation, “Dream, Inspire, Serve,” urged the audience to support nonprofit businesses.