NOVA’s Abisourour Invited to Moroccan Volleyball Training Camp

Following a stellar two-year career with NOVA’s volleyball team, setter Sarah Abisourour is spending her spring break at the Moroccan national volleyball team training camp.

Morocco, which did not qualify for the 2016 Olympics and placed sixth at the African Championship in 2015, began recruiting American and European women with Moroccan heritage to tryout for the national team.

“We have been in contact for a while, but it got more serious after they saw a highlight video I posted,” Abisourour said. “The Moroccan coaches have come to watch me in different tournaments that I have played in to see me in game competition.”

According to Abisourour, her younger sister, a cousin who attends Virginia Tech, and a family friend attending Lehigh, will all have the chance to participate in the training camp this week.

“They wanted us at the training camp this week because they need to start putting together the national team with the African Championships coming up later this year, and the Olympics in 2020,” Abisourour said.

Since volleyball became a sport in the Olympics in 1964, Morocco has never sent a team to represent the country. In 1985, Morocco had their best finish in international competition – first at the Pan Arab Games.

“With all the new players they’re bringing in and with everybody who will be back on the team I think we have a great chance to be in the Olympics in 2020,” Abisourour said.

Abisourour is also going to have a chance to train for the Moroccan beach volleyball team.

Beach volleyball became an Olympic sport in 1996, and is a two versus two competition with multiple teams from the same country competing. Similar to the indoor game, Morocco has never sent a team to the Olympics.

“My forte is indoor, but I am open to playing beach volleyball,” Abisourour said. “I just love playing volleyball and it would be a chance to represent Morocco on the national stage.”