Dr. Charles Errico Appointed to National Council for History Education Board

The National Council for History Education (NCHE) recently announced the selection of Dr. Charles Errico to join the council’s Board of Directors. Errico, a NOVA professor, joins the Board at the NCHE annual meeting in Washington, D.C. this month.

Since 1990, the NCHE has worked to promote excellence in K-12 and college-level history education. The organization supports the teaching of history in schools and society through advocacy, sponsoring collaborations and workshops between teachers and professors, and by producing teaching materials and history education guidelines.

Errico, who received his Ph.D. from the University of Maryland in American diplomatic history, won teaching awards from the alumni association, the educational foundation and, in 2007, was named one of the outstanding faculty members in Virginia. Errico’s book, Portrait of America, is required reading at more than 60 universities in the United States and Europe.

“I am honored to serve on the NCHE Board at a time when our nation needs, more than ever, an appreciation of our past,” says Errico. “One of the most rewarding moments of my academic career was participating on NCHE colloquiums as part of the Teaching American History Grant. Teachers around the nation continue to benefit from the lesson plans that they received from those colloquiums. I personally benefitted from the lasting friendships that I made with those teachers and my colleagues on the colloquiums. I am eager now to give my time and energy back to the NCHE, the leading voice for the promotion of history education.”

“We are excited to have Charlie join the Board,” NCHE Board Chair Sarah Drake Brown says. “His commitment to history education is clear, and the board and staff look forward to his contributions to the organization.”