Mancini Resigns After Six Seasons

After spending the last six seasons as head coach of NOVA’s cross country team, Nicole Mancini has stepped down from the position.

Mancini decided to spend more time with her family and help coach her daughter’s youth soccer team.

Mancini, who is also a professor at NOVA’s Manassas Campus, was the Nighthawks’ first cross country coach, starting the program in 2013.

“After talking with my husband and daughter, I think this is the best time for me to step down as head coach,” Mancini said. “I want to thank every student-athlete past and present who I have been able to coach and mentor into great young women.”

Mancini coached NOVA to four straight NJCAA Region 20 Division I championships and three consecutive trips to the NJCAA National Championship. In 2015 she was named NJCAA Division I Atlantic Region Coach of the Year.

In the previous three seasons, Mancini has had nine student-athletes who were named Scholar All-America by the NJCAA Cross Country Coaches Association.

“I want to thank Nicole for her hard work and dedication to the NOVA Nighthawks,” said Athletic Director Steve Mrowka. “She started the cross country program and built it up to become one of the best in Region 20, and I could not be happier where she left the team.”

A search for a new head coach is under way.