NOVA and UMW Sign Transfer Partnership Agreement

NOVA President Scott Ralls and University of Mary Washington (UMW) President Troy D. Paino signed a guaranteed transfer partnership agreement that will allow students to continuously benefit from low tuition and ease of transfer between the two institutions. The UMW is the fifth institution to partner with NOVA to formalize a seamless guaranteed transfer process for students.

This partnership represents another important step forward in containing the cost of degree completion. The agreement stipulates the criteria under which NOVA graduates are guaranteed admission to UMW and describes curricular benefits that exceed those outlined in the existing Guaranteed Admission Agreement between UMW and the Virginia Community College System. In addition, the agreement further articulates terms that ensure UMW and NOVA will jointly support dual enrolled students, whether online or in person.

“This guaranteed transfer partnership agreement between NOVA and the University of Mary Washington is about creating a shared experience among two institutions,” said Ralls. “A recent study discovered that community college graduates in the Commonwealth of Virginia who move forward to graduate to a four-year public university have approximately 17 more credits on their transcripts than those students who started out at a university. What we celebrate in forming these transfer partnerships is creating better alignment and working together to ensure the success of our students.”

“The University of Mary Washington is going to be a better place because of NOVA, “said Paino. “This agreement is about collaborating with our community college partner to create opportunities for students where they can earn their degree seamlessly, in a timely fashion and reduce student debt. More importantly, this partnership is about making sure we bring students from diverse backgrounds, who have diverse perspectives together at places like Mary Washington and NOVA, who learn together and work together to solve problems, serve and learn from one another.”

Andrea Luna, NOVA alumna, and incoming UMW student served in several leadership roles as secretary, vice-president and president of the Student Government Association (SGA), French Culture Club and as a student ambassador while attending NOVA. Luna said when she first heard about the transfer agreement partnership between NOVA and UMW, she knew she wanted to continue her active involvement by serving as a NOVA alumni liaison to assist students in transferring to UMW.

“From being a college student who was unsure as to what to study, to now earning my associate degree at NOVA in business administration is just part of my success story,” Luna said. “The community work I have done has given me experiences that I will take with me as I continue my journey at UMW. NOVA prepared me as an individual, helped me to become involved with the community, but most importantly NOVA helped me to understand myself. As a NOVA alumni liaison, I look forward to meeting new students and helping incoming NOVA transfers feel welcome at the University of Mary Washington.”

The Honorable Sharon Bulova, Chairman of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors and member of the UMW Board of Visitors along with NOVA Executive Vice-President Dr. Mel Schiavelli, UMW Rector of the Board of Visitors Fred Rankin and UMW Provost Dr. Nina Mikhalevsky also extended remarks during the ceremony.

Signing Ceremony Video